PE and Sport
At Charlton we aim to offer a range of age and stage appropriate opportunities to maximise the potential to develop the physical literacy of all pupils.
Physical literacy describes the motivation, confidence, physical competence, knowledge and understanding that prepares children for lifelong participation.
Children years 1 to 6 take part in an afternoon of physical activity a week.
Reception children have at least 30 minutes per day of physical activity.(e.g cycling, ball skills , gymnastic skills, athletics, and team games)
In addition, clubs are run after and before school both by staff, children and outside professionals. In 2015/2016 we offered many clubs including football, cheer, archery, netball, non contact boxing and multi skills.
We are also very proud of our success rate in many inter school competitions. (Please see our school blog for further details.)
Click here to see this year’s PE Action Plan.
Sports Premium Funding
This funding is ring-fenced and therefore can only be spent on provision of PE and sport in schools.
At Charlton School the Governors and Headteacher believe the purpose of the Sports Premium should be:
- To sustain and improve the provision of P.E. and School Sport through out the whole school.
- To ensure that teachers and support staff offer high quality Physical Education as part of the school curriculum and that continual professional development for existing staff is on-going.
- To ensure that we have the correct equipment to enable high quality delivery of the curriculum.
- To provide appropriate competitive School Sport opportunities for all children who wish to take part.
- To identify and engage with those children who are less active and therefore, less likely to choose sport and exercise as a lifestyle choice.
- To work in partnership with other organisations (SSco) and schools tomaximise the potential of the P.E. and School sport funding and make best use of the facilities within the school grounds
- To give a broad base of extra- curricular activities for those who wish to take part.
Provision through Dover Sports Games:
- Inter-school competitions
- Sports crew training for inter-school competitions
- CPD opportunities in gym, cricket and tennis
- Afterschool clubs (gym and multi skills)
- New curriculum support
- Bikeability training (PE budget)